13 May 2012

Transfer the Juice of the Spaceship

Finally got around to the transfer of Spaceship Juice! Got to use my (semi) new 6.5 gallon carboy. Sanitized and transferred just before sunset so I was able to do some sanitizing outside. Better than making a mess in the kitchen!

The color was very nice, a little darker than I anticipated but from my experience thus far, it always looks darker in the glass carboy than in the glass.  Will have a better judge of the color when I test the FG and then best when it's finally in the glass! I've currently got the setup to start with my auto-siphon and go down all the way to the bottom of the glass carboy so that there isn't too much aeration. Haven't really ever tried to notice a difference if that occurs, but it's not supposed to be aerated with oxygen in the bottle so I have always just assumed that aeration at this stage is bad too.

One interesting thing that happened is that there was a solid half gallon left in the Ale Pail (plastic, primary fermenter).  It was a good thing I fermented just over 5 gallons, but I was left with just under in the secondary.  I am going to go ahead and assume that the Irish Moss did this because it was the first time I have ever used it.  However, it could have also been very yeasty since it smelled of it.  I was tempted to sanitize a bottle and save the yeast for the next Belgian style I do, but I'd prefer to go to Spec's and grab a dozen Belgian bottle refermented beers and capture that yeast... next project.  In any case, has anyone got any thoughts/suggestions as to what caused the massive amount of sediment?

Since the Dubbel Trubbel (3rd edition, first all grain) was ready to move to secondary, I transferred that as well.  No massive sedimentation in there! Just normal, so I am going to assume again the previous sediment was from Irish Moss...

Still looking for an art idea for Spaceship Juice! I was thinking something reminiscent of "Lost in Space" or "Forbidden Planet."

No comments:

Post a Comment